Monday, July 29, 2013

Power Hour




As part of the blog, I wanted to share inspiration on how to love your job and do your best work. I was recently reading about how important starting your day off right is- the first hour or the “power hour” sets the tone for the rest of your day. In “48 Days to the Work you Love” Dan Miller goes through his morning routine and reports “Many of my most creative ideas have come from this protected time of the day… I am invigorated, motivated, and ready to face anything the day may bring.”
So, my mornings didn’t use to be the most productive. I would wake up at 6am with my husband, make his lunch, have breakfast with him and then go to bed until the last second when I would rush to get ready for the day. I felt tired and cranky most of the day. But I got so much sleep!
Here’s how the first hour of my day goes now- wake up at 6am with my husband, make his lunch, eat breakfast while reading an inspirational/uplifting book, run 2-3 miles while listening to positive fast paced music while telling myself and my dogs that we can do hard things, shower while I plan my day. Let me tell you, my days run much better when I start them by being productive and positive! I start my work day better and the whole day is filled with more purpose.
According to this article in Forbes (it’s a great read!), try to start your morning with the following:
Stillness/Gratitude
Preparing
Overviewing/Planning
Helping
Digging In
Tackling something new
So what do you think? Does it make a difference how you start your day? 
P.s. I have a fun how to scheduled for Wednesday on making a wallpaper backdrop for a showroom or photo shoot!
P.p.s the link for "48 Days to the Work you Love" is an affiliate line. Regardless, I really, really loved that book! I checked mine out from the library and would suggest it if you aren't happy with your current job.

No comments:

Post a Comment