Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Anthropologie Inspiration




In my first blog entry, I mentioned wanting to post inspiration from great store merchandising. Of course, the first store I want to write about is Anthropologie- the mecca of great visual merchandising. I think that Anthropologie’s dedication to great display is amazing- while many stores cut their merchandisers when the economy tanked, Anthropologie has continued to execute gorgeous store design. They actually don’t spend any money on marketing (crazy). Here’s what the president of Anthopologie, Glen Sent, says about that: “One of our core philosophies is that we spend the money that other companies spend on marketing to create a store experience that exceeds people’s expectations. We don’t spend money on messages- we invest in execution.” Isn’t it refreshing that the emphasis is put on good design?!?
So what makes Anthropologie different and special from a merchandising standpoint? Here are the main things:
1.       Store Design- the 92 Anthro stores were designed by Pompei A. D. The stores are anything but generic- “The stores incorporate rich, sensual, and engaging environments that integrate elements of the local culture in a contextual manner so that no two strores are exactly alike.” Many stores are housed in historical locations that add to the character (i.e. the Rockefeller Center store is housed in an old theater, the London Regent Street location in a billiards hall). The overall store experience of the customer in the store is important for Anthropologie- where for many stores, the merchandising of each product the emphasis is.
2.       The Layout- On the home side (which, as a home merchandiser, is what I care most about), the product usually goes from living room, to kitchen, to bedroom items. Much like a guest would walk through a house and become more comfortable, this is how Anthropologie successfully lays out their store. The store is also very open and allows for wandering. “Anthropologie is famed for the informal layout…This layout includes a sculptural “arcade” of vignettes, unique floor fixtures, and furniture. The informal layout gives each store the flexibility to customize its setup in order for the Anthopoloogie shopper to explore its flea-market treasures.”
3.       Fixtures- Anthropologie uses unique items to display their product- from salvaged tables to antique crates. They even have a “found objects” buyer who finds these fixtures and “scours the flea markets of Western Europe to find vintage tables, dressers, and other artifacts upon which to display the merchandise.” Sounds like a fun job to me! In addition to the large fixtures being from flea markets, the merchandisers at each store comb the flea markets for small objects to help the merchandise shine (this article at msn has really great pictures on  this)
4.       Store Windows- it’s so obvious (hopefully), that Anthroplogie’s windows are unique and beautiful that it’s almost silly to mention. Here’s what they do great with the windows: they are visually appealing, they are over the top, they commonly use recycled materials, they are handmade, and each store’s is unique.
While I was in London in the spring, I took a few pictures of the Regent Street Anthropologie.

I love this little vignette! From the stack of trunks to the ecelectic wall hangings, to all of the knick knacks of the table I think it’s perfection. And quirky!


This is a picture I took because of the room divider. What a great way to make a bed feel special! The divider is made of canvas on a metal support system with the canvas painted (that looks adjustable). Sounds like a fun DIY project to me! Angling the bed also helps it feel special.
I know that when it comes to Anthropologie pictures, these aren’t the most exciting, but I am really trying to not post any pictures that I didn’t take (I keep hearing about bloggers getting sued for using pictures they didn't personally take and that had a copywrite on them).
To end this blog, I have to say that I loved writing it! I mean, how can you not love a company that truly values their creative staff?!? Plus, I love that Anthroplogie has stepped outside the box and it’s worked for them. I also love reading about their display philosophies and thinking about how I can implement them with my displays. Oh Anthropologie!
Sources for text:

2 comments: